I'm in it for a story that keeps me in my seat from the first page to the last, whether that a thriller, a procedural, a historical mystery with an unusual setting, ornonfiction: true crime, memoir, narrative nonfiction history. Always looking out for new points of view on genre tropes -- LGBTQ+ and BIPOC authors, I'm here for you and it's an absolute pleasure to read your work.
After 8 years in book publishing -- working on an array of stories both true and not true, with authors like Lauren Beukes, Mark Z. Danielewski, James Ellroy, Denise Mina, Pulitzer Prize–winner Heather Ann Thompson, and Andrea Wulf -- I went freelance and picked up a part-time gig at the independent Astoria Bookshop, where I can indulge my love of romance novels and keep pushing mysteries directly into readers' hands.
Proud resident of Queens, alum of Mount Holyoke College, and native of Ohio. My last name is pronounced “jill-yer-AH-no”.
Freelance editor specializing in mystery fiction
- Editorial assessments
- Developmental editing
- Book proposal preparation
- Query Letter review and consultation on submissions process
* Acquired and edited 6-8 original titles and 6 reprints each year for L,B’s crime fiction/true crime imprint.
* Attended writers' conferences annually to support current, and meet potential, authors (Bouchercon, Thrillerfest, SleuthFest, California Crime Writers Conference)
* Kathleen Kent's THE BURN -- Mystery Writers of America Sue Grafton Memorial Award finalist, 2020
* Denise Mina's CONVICTION -- Reese Witherspoon's Book Club and NY Times Best Books of the Year, 2019
* Kent Anderson's GREEN SUN -- LA Times Book Prize finalist, 2019
* Kanae MInato, translated by Philip Gabriel, PENANCE -- Edgar Award finalist, Best Paperback Original, 2017
Editing and reviewing submissions in several categories: Crime/mystery, speculative, historical, and women’s fiction; women’s and gender studies; popular history; memoir.
* Provided key editorial support for 2017 Pulitzer Prize Winner in History, Heather Ann Thompson’s BLOOD IN THE WATER (Pantheon, 2016) and New York Times bestseller and Notable Book Andrea Wulf’s THE INVENTION OF NATURE (Knopf, 2015)
* Assisted in editing a mystery/crime list with Edward Kastenmeier including James Ellroy, Robert Harris, Carl Hiaasen, Walter Mosley.
* Oversaw Vintage Crime/Black Lizard originals and reprints including Otto Penzler’s Big Book anthologies and first U.S. publications of select Henning Mankell, Jo Nesbø, and Arne Dahl titles.
* Notable acquisitions included UNBOUND by Arlene Stein (Pantheon Books, 2018. Gender studies/history) and
HOMING INSTINCTS by Sarah Menkedick (Pantheon Books, 2017. Memoir/essays.)
A true crime podcast sets a trophy wife's present life on a collision course with her secret past in this "blazingly intense" Reese Witherspoon book club pick and New York Times Best Crime Novel of the Year (A. J. Finn).The day Anna McDonald's quiet, respectable life exploded started off like all the days before: Packing up the kids for school, making breakfast, listening to yet another true c... read more
NATIONAL BESTSELLER AN NPR BEST BOOK OF THE YEARIt is December 6, 1941. America stands at the brink of World War II. Last hopes for peace are shattered when Japanese squadrons bomb Pearl Harbor. Los Angeles has been a haven for loyal Japanese-Americans—but now, war fever and race hate grip the city and the Japanese internment begins. The hellish murder of a Japanese family summons three men an... read more
WINNER OF THE 2017 PULITZER PRIZE IN HISTORY WINNER OF THE 2017 BANCROFT PRIZENATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALIST * LOS ANGELES TIMES BOOK PRIZE FINALIST * NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK FOR 2016 * NAMED A BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR BY THE BOSTON GLOBE, NEWSWEEK, KIRKUS, AND PUBLISHERS WEEKLYTHE FIRST DEFINITIVE HISTORY OF THE INFAMOUS 1971 ATTICA PRISON UPRISING, THE STATE’S VIOLENT RESPONSE, AND THE VICTIM... read more
A woman returns home to find a stranger living in her house in this "suspenseful and moving" psychological drama from an Edgar Award-nominated author (Meg Gardiner) -- perfect for readers of Shari Lapena and Liane Moriarty.There's a stranger living in Kimber Hannon's house. He tells the police that he has every right to be there, and he has the paperwork to prove it. But Kimber definitely didn... read more
Shirley Jackson meets The Shining in this richly atmospheric and thrillingly tense new novel from the acclaimed author of the "deliciously creepy" debut Baby Teeth (New York Post).One mother's love may be all that stands between her family, an enigmatic presence--and madness.After years of city life, Orla and Shaw Bennett are ready for the quiet of New York's Adirondack mountains--or at least,... read more
A race-against-time thriller for fans of Tana French and Megan Abbott: To save a missing girl, FBI Agent Elsa Myers may have to lose herself. Even as her father lies dying in a hospital north of New York City, FBI Agent Elsa Myers can't ignore a call for help. A teenage girl has disappeared from Forest Hills, Queens, and during the critical first hours of the case, a series of false leads obsc... read more
An NPR, GQ, and Buzzfeed Best Book of the YearOne of The Washington Post’s best science fiction and fantasy books of the yearThe acclaimed author of The Dream of Perpetual Motion returns with a compelling novel about the effects of science and technology on our friendships, our love lives, and our sense of self. Rebecca Wright has reclaimed her life, finding her way out of her grief and depres... read more
An intrepid young woman stalks a murderer through turn-of-the-century Chicago in "this rich, spooky, and atmospheric thriller that will appeal to fans of Henry Darger and Erik Larson alike" (Sarah McCarry).In the sweltering summer of 1915, Pin, the fourteen-year-old daughter of a carnival fortune-teller, dresses as a boy and joins a teenage gang that roams the famous Riverview amusement park, ... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Published author, editor and translator offering 15+ years of proven expertise. We'll focus on making your story as compelling as possible.
Passionate book editor who's worked with bestselling authors at Penguin Random House on thrillers, historical fiction, and book club reads.