I'm a specialist children's and YA editor with over 15 years' experience. My clients range from the Big 5 publishers and top literary agencies to small presses and indie authors. I've worked on many bestselling, award-winning books – both as a freelancer and in-house – and have an in-depth knowledge of the market and what appeals to readers.
I want to help you on your journey to publication in whatever way suits you best, be that an editorial assessment, a development edit or a long-term mentorship. I offer a full range of editorial services and always tailor them to each client. If you're not sure which service is right for you, I can help you to figure that out.
As well as being passionate about working with you to get the most from your manuscript, I also want to help demystify the publishing process. I'm very happy to include advice about navigating the industry as part of my service to you, e.g. submission tips and agent recommendations.
I specialise in young fiction (5–8), middle grade (9–12) and young adult (13+). I have commissioned and edited bestselling series including Rainbow Magic, Beast Quest and The World of Norm, and the NYT bestsellers The Last Dragon Chronicles and The Gallagher Girls. Books I've worked on have won a raft of awards, from the Sainsbury's Children's Book Award to the Carnegie Medal.
I'm also an author of young fiction (published by Scholastic, Hachette and HarperCollins), so I understand what it's like to be on the other side of the writer–editor relationship. I provide honest, constructive feedback with a sensitive but direct approach.
"I cannot thank you enough for this brilliantly helpful report. I must tell you – I’ve received editorial reports for other projects from other places over the years and I’ve never received back anything as insightful and helpful as your report. It’s amazing how you've nailed all the issues so precisely. What I particularly appreciate is that you’ve not only highlighted the problem areas but you’ve actually given me suggestions on how I can improve them. It’s just so extraordinarily helpful!"– Simon James Green, award-winning author of Noah Can't Even, Noah Could Never, Alex in Wonderland and Heartbreak Boys.
• Manuscript reviewing, development editing, line editing and copyediting for writers pre-publication, many of whom have gone on to secure agents and book deals, including A. M. Dassu, Simon James Green, David Fennell, Jane Elson and Sarah Dodd.
• Development editing, line editing and copyediting for publishers, including Hachette, Egmont, Simon & Schuster and OUP.
• Development editing and reading for literary agents.
• Structural editing and language editing on their wide range of dyslexia-friendly titles by high-profile authors including Malorie Blackman, Juno Dawson, Steve Cole and Elizabeth Wein.
David Higham Associates
• Reading and reviewing submissions.
• Editing both published authors and new clients.
• Commissioning and editing for the Collins Big Cat reading programme, working with many top authors including David Almond, Mary Hoffman, John Agard, Bali Rai and Anne Fine.
• The Owls of Blossom Wood series (Scholastic)
• The Unicorns of Blossom Wood series (Scholastic)
• The Puppies of Blossom Meadow series (Scholastic)
• Lucky Bunnies series (Scholastic)
• Kid Cowboy series (Hachette)
• How the Camel Got Its Hump/Wow Cow/Mog and Mim/Bad Luck, Dad/Zip and Zigzag (HarperCollins)
Hachette Children's Books
• Commissioning and editing children's fiction from 5+ to YA, including the bestselling Rainbow Magic, Beast Quest, The Tiara Club, The World of Norm, Gallagher Girls and The Last Dragon Chronicles.
Catherine has 2 reviews