My passion lies in book publishing as a lifelong career. Currently, I freelance as a copy editor and proofreader at various places including the big-five publishing houses: Macmillan (Farrar, Straus and Giroux imprint), Simon & Schuster (Children’s Publishing), Elite Editing (Adult’s Division), and Reedsy.
I’m also a managing editorial assistant at the independent publisher Starry Forest Books, where I’ve contributed to a range of board books, picture books, chapter books, and more.
Through more than five years of experience in publishing, I’ve guided a total of thirty titles and counting. My most recent project was for US National Book Award–Winner writer Alice McDermott’s WHAT ABOUT THE BABY?: SOME THOUGHTS ON THE ART OF FICTION.
Previously, I worked at the largest literary nonprofit publisher in Southern California, Red Hen Press, where I proofread and copyedited nine manuscripts in literary fiction and poetry. I've contributed to Lara Ehrlich's short story collection, ANIMAL WIFE (Winner of the Red Hen Fiction Award, selected by New York Times bestselling author Ann Hood), as well as Cécile Barlier’s A GYPSY’S BOOK OF REVELATION (Winner of the AWP Grace Paley Prize for Short Fiction).
Through my familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, I am confident in my book editing skills, with a close attention to detail when preparing books for production. From my roles of examining proofs for error-free manuscripts, I am committed to tapping into the potential of authors and delivering bestselling, critically acclaimed books.
I graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in English and Creative Writing Emphasis from Scripps College. As a literature enthusiast, particularly through an expertise in literary books, I am dedicated to working with emerging and well-established authors to meet their individual needs. With my enthusiasm as a grammar perfectionist, I hope to offer my passion for the written word. I am adept at handing over edited manuscripts within a monthly project schedule or as needed.
Looking forward to working with you!
• Freelancer at Macmillan's Farrar, Straus and Giroux imprint; Simon and Schuster's Children's Publishing; Elite Editing; Starry Forest Books; Reedsy
• Specialty in proofreading and copyediting for manuscripts and other book preparation projects for clients
• Examining proofs to ensure error-free editorial changes, tracking all revisions
• Sending comprehensive editing mark-up notes within tight deadlines (Track Changes in Word or annotations in Adobe Reader for PDFs)
• Worked on 30+ titles, ranging from editorial assessment, developmental editing, copyediting, proofreading, query letter review, and indexing
• Evaluating 1,000+ submissions for online literary magazine featuring world-renowned poets, including Terrance Hayes, Ocean Vuong, Franny Choi, D.A. Powell, Danez Smith, and more
• Providing weekly qualitative comments and voting on poetry pieces to accept for publication
• Copyedited and proofread 8+ manuscripts according to The Chicago Manual of Style
• Drafted author queries for edits in literary fiction and poetry
• Conducted fact-checking and research for projects, tracking editorial revisions and progress
• Worked closely with the Editorial Assistant and Production Associate
• Edited 25-30+ stories weekly for news, life and style, opinions, and sports
• Led a 120-person staff and oversaw all final production aspects including article development, content/copy editing, headlines, visuals, video, podcast, website, and social media
• Previous Managing Editor, Life and Style Editor, Copy Associate, and Staff Writer (Sept ’16 - May ’18)
• Evaluated 230+ submissions for the yearly 60+ page magazine, communicating with authors to revise work for developmental and copy edits for print/online publication
• Kick-started the annual Writing and Art Contest (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, and multimedia)
• Directed a team of 32+ staff members, hosted workshops, and coordinated with faculty departments
• Previous Poetry Editor (Jan ’17 - Sept ’17)
• Read and assessed 175+ creative writing submissions from local artists for editing
• Compiled pieces for anthology book publishing
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.