With more than four years of experience in publishing-related fields, I have worked at the largest literary nonprofit publisher in Southern California, Red Hen Press, where I proofread and copyedited 9 manuscripts in literary fiction and poetry. I've contributed to the short story collection Lara Ehrlich's ANIMAL WIFE, which won the Red Hen Fiction Award selected by New York Times bestselling author Ann Hood. Through my familiarity with The Chicago Manual of Style and Merriam Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, I am confident in my book editing skills, with a meticulous attention to detail when preparing books for production. From my roles of examining proofs for error-free manuscripts, I am committed to tapping into the potential of authors and delivering critically acclaimed books to readers.
Recently, I graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in English and Creative Writing Emphasis from Scripps College. I am currently contributing to freelance book preparation projects. As a voracious reader and lover of world literature, particularly through my familiarity of literary books, I am dedicated to working with emerging and well-established authors to meet their individual needs. With my enthusiasm as a grammar perfectionist, I hope to offer my passion for the written word. I am adept at handing over edited manuscripts within a monthly project schedule or as needed by clients' deadlines. I wish to offer a keen eye for bringing forth the most exceptional and engaging works from a perspective of brilliance in literature.
• Proofreading and copyediting for manuscripts and other book preparation projects for clients
• Examining proofs to ensure error-free editorial changes, tracking all revisions
• Sending to clients editing mark-up notes within tight deadlines
• Copyedited and proofread 8+ manuscripts according to The Chicago Manual of Style
• Drafted author queries for edits in literary fiction and poetry
• Conducted fact-checking and research for projects, tracking editorial revisions and progress
• Worked closely with the Editorial Assistant and Production Associate
• Edited 25-30+ stories weekly for news, life and style, opinions, and sports
• Led a 120-person staff and oversaw all final production aspects including article development, content/copy editing, headlines, visuals, video, podcast, website, and social media
• Previous Managing Editor, Life and Style Editor, Copy Associate, and Staff Writer (Sept ’16 - May ’18)
• Evaluated 230+ submissions for the yearly 60+ page magazine, communicating with authors to revise work for developmental and copy edits for print/online publication
• Kick-started the annual Writing and Art Contest (fiction, nonfiction, poetry, art, and multimedia)
• Directed a team of 32+ staff members, hosted workshops, and coordinated with faculty departments
• Previous Poetry Editor (Jan ’17 - Sept ’17)
• Read and assessed 175+ creative writing submissions from local artists for editing
• Compiled pieces for anthology book publishing
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.