I offer a developing editing service and work one on one with authors, providing developmental edits, editorial analysis and suggestions, fact-checking, etc. I have a Bachelor's degree in English and History and Master's degree in Education, Learning Design, and Technology. I am also a production editor by trade with more than 12 years' experience working on textbooks and monographs, using Adobe InDesign for layout. I have a strong background in editing academic work, particularly, education, social science, STEM, and biomedical titles with international readership.
My aim is to also make authors’ copy easy to read and correct in terms of spelling, punctuation, and grammar. With stories, I look for plot construction, paragraph flow and logic, characterization, and consistency. In all of this, I believe it is important to keep the author's voice, and it is my goal to always do that.
I can offer the following:
- An editorial assessment with bullet points of what you need to think about and big-picture edits to consider.
- An in-depth editorial letter that covers developmental, big-picture points, focused on structure, character, motivation, point of view, pacing, plot, story arc, theme, and so on.
- Line edits and suggestions that cover word choice, voice, sentence structure, rhythm, text flow, etc.
- Query and pitch critique.
- Ed.M. Master of Education
- B.A. English and History, Minor in Economics
Elsevier – Science & Technology Books, Academic Press
- Reviewed and edited manuscripts, wrote content for author review, selected and edited art as needed.
- Extracted art for design, developed templates, assessed and guided responses to reviewer comments.
- Oversaw quality and completion, maintained schedules for life science and biomedical research books for Elsevier, Inc. & Ltd.
- Large titles edited included: Post Genomic Cardiology, The Science of Fitness, Human Physiology in Extreme Environments, Manual of Coronary Chronic Total Inclusion Interventions (Highly Commended/BMA Medical Book Award for development, 2014), Neural Surface Antigens, Heart and Toxins, and Interdisciplinary Mentoring in Science.
- Edit and level manuscript, illustration, and digital briefs, and all proof /product release stages, and collate input from authors.
- Implement structural editing and rewriting so that print and digital products are accurate and accessible in the chosen format for the target audiences, and are consistent with project briefs.
- Manage Pearson MyLab online courses, eTexts, and Revel courses from conception through launch, ensuring products are produced on time, to spec, and within budget.
- Books recently edited include: Business Data Networks and Security, Educational Psychology, Health Science Fundamentals, Forensic Science, and Integrating Educational Technology.
- Worked with internal stakeholders to write curriculum plans for Mathematics texts, lesson plans, and a teacher resource website.
- Strategized and maintained program initiatives that adhere to organization objectives.