I am a veteran book editor of nonfiction (mainly true crime, business and leadership, selected memoir, and self-help/health). I like to work closely with "my authors" to help shape the book they truly want to write and publish. I consult with you on independent publishing options. My authors win awards.
My own five-time award-winning book titled Cover to Cover: What First-Time Authors Need to Know about Editing is the guide you want to read before you spend effort and money on an edit. Opened at #1 new release in editing on Amazon, GOLD award winner from the Nonfiction Authors Association, acclaimed by other editors (who are also picky), and answers a lot of the questions authors have when venturing down the publishing path.
As one of my authors said, "Sandy is tough as nails."
Maybe you need a push or a shove, a guide into the world of publishing. Let's have a speed date by phone or email and discuss your writing project. Let's talk about the level of editing your work needs (because first-time authors are often confused about editing, the missing step between writing and publishing). We can discuss pricing, timetable, publishing options, next steps, even marketing with an eye to creating a commercial-quality book that can compete with any book out there in your genre.
Perhaps you are writing a business card book, showcasing your management and leadership skills. Let me help you build your brand with a high-quality business book.
I have had the honor of working with ordinary people with extraordinary stories and extraordinary people with incredible stories: Holocaust survivors, a rock groupie, a bank robber, DEA agent, FBI agent, homicide detective, narcotics sergeant, high-tech project leaders, a CEO of a Fortune 50 company, professors, business leaders, a psychic, a Top Gun (for real), real estate hot shots, a funeral home director, a Las Vegas Mob historian, doctors, psychiatrists and psychologists, an Admiral and Commander of an aircraft carrier, a school principal, entrepreneurs -- all real people with real stories just like yours.
If this is your first book, think of the editing process like this: You're standing there stark naked. You are feeling vulnerable. You need guidance. Let me cut through the BS and worry about commas and semicolons. Let's talk.
- Ben Franklin Silver, health/fitness
- Foreword Reviews IndieFab Book of the Year, Silver
- Midwest Book Award, Finalist
- Nebraska Center for the Book, content design, 2017
- Eric Hoffer Award, finalist, health 2020
- Foreword Reviews Indie Book of the Year, finalist, self-help, 2020
- Foreword Reviews Indie Book of the Year, finalist, health, 2020
- GOLD, Nonfiction Authors Association, 2021
- Distinguished Favorite, Independent Press Award in Writing and Publishing, 2021
- WINNER in Business: Writing/Publishing, 2021 International Book Awards
- Coursework completed: EFA Developmental Editing for Nonfiction
- Creative Nonfiction course, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Coursera MOOCs, various topics in social psychology and healthcare
- Coursework University of Iowa Summer Writing Festival, memoir
- Modern American Essay course, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Completed Nonfiction Authors Association masterclass on book publicity (2023)
- Completed Nonfiction Authors Association masterclass in book publishing (2022)
Book editor and independent publishing consultant who loves working with first-time authors. I edit books, evaluate manuscripts, draft web copy, and advise on publishing options for authors of nonfiction. I also judge national book awards, blog on Medium, and kayak when the boss isn't looking.
Metropolitan Community College
Instructor for noncredit continuing education classes in how to write, publish, and market a book.
Sandra has 40 reviews