I think I knew pretty early that I wanted to be a designer. There is photo evidence somewhere of me, age 9, meticulously drawing in the thick outline around my self published comic titles. I would spend more time on that than the illustrations because I knew a good cover moves copies ($$$). That, or I knew it would draw praise from mom.
I've had the good fortune to work in publishing for over 8 years now. My experience runs the gamut of licensed titles for Star Wars, DC, Marvel, and others. As a devourer of pop culture—while pulling double duty as a child of the 80's—this is about the best thing I could have hoped for. But I've also worked on children's books, craft kits, chapter books in various genres, and more.
It's this broad range of experience that I can bring to your future book. Is it a space adventure? Romance in the old west? Murder in the Moors? Drop me a line and we'll make it a reality.
At becker&mayer! I create original books, unique craft kits, and other book-related products. Some key aspects to my role include, but aren’t limited to:
• Conceptualizing new ideas based on trending entertainment licenses, pop culture phenomena, and DIY culture. In my time at B&M I’ve personally developed and designed several titles that started as my idea then finished as a book or craft kit.
• Work with other team members in editorial, product development, and logistics to maximize every penny spent, whether it’s on a unique cover treatment, or developing a doodad to pair with the book or kit.
• Design in a fast-pace environment for an array of age groups ranging from 6+ to adult.
• Work with licenses such as Disney, Lucas Film, WB, Marvel, and WWE developing new and innovative books and kits. On occasion this means taking a rough idea that originates from the client, and molding that into an fully realized title that exceeds their expectations and delights the fanbase.
• Art directing freelance designers and illustrators daily to realize the vision for any given title. Critique their work and provide constructive feedback where necessary.
• Schedule internal design reviews with all necessary personnel. Interpret designs so that every stakeholder is on the same page and understands design direction.
• Manage art budget for all my titles and maintain art log outlining each specific piece, their dollar amount, and the artists’ timeline.
• Create printer-ready files that can be easily processed and ripped. Especially important given the majority of our printers are located in non-english speaking countries.
• I Work with logistics and production personnel to review every stage of a product: blue lines, wet proofs, and printer samples. Acute attention to detail is needed to monitor and course correct before the final product ships FOB.
• Designed posters, logos, banners, and other miscellany for Seattle Weekly sponsored events.
• Also acted as illustrator for any Weekly event or marketing needs. Primarily working in Illustrator and Photoshop.
• Created ads for Seattle Weekly advertising partners that ranged from restaurants to rock venues. Sometimes this meant translating and filtering direction from the client, then honing their idea into something that’s both attractive and satisfies the client’s needs.
OFFICIAL STAR WARS IN-UNIVERSE BOOK FEATURING NOTES ON TACTICS, ARMOR, AND VALOR FROM GALACTIC CONFLICTS IN THE STAR WARS UNIVERSEFrom the Clone Wars and the Rebellion to the clashes with the First Order, the galaxy is defined by war. Star Wars: On the Front Lines chronicles the tactics, weapons, and armor used in pivotal battles along with acts of valor achieved during the campaign. By focusi... read more
Create these adorable Disney Zootopia crochet models to add to your collection or share with friends. The kit contains all the materials you need to make Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde: yarn, a crochet hook, needle and thread, stuffing, felt, and safety eyes. Step-by-step directions accompanied by color photos make the instructions for all twelve models easy to follow. These cute and cuddly charact... read more
Vicious interstellar conflict with an indestructible alien species. Bloody civil war over the last habitable zones of the cosmos. Political unrest, militaristic police forces, dire threats to the Solar System…Humanity is on the ropes, and after years of fighting a two-front war with losing odds, so is North American Defense Corps officer Andrew Grayson. He dreams of dropping out of the service... read more
Disney Villains: Delightfully Evil is a comprehensive catalog showcasing cruel-intentioned characters from the past eight decades of Disney and Pixar films. Each villain is profiled in detail, including information on the animators, directors, and voice actors who brought the evildoers to life. Fresh, insightful text explores the villains origins, roles within their stories, and influences on ... read more
This newest title in the wildly popular Spotter's Guide series leads readers through the distinct field marks of flatulence in the latter years of life, from "The Crank" (the fart that chases pesky kids—and everyone else—off the lawn) through "The ReAnimator" (the sudden eruption of post-holiday meal flatulence that brings Great Aunt Gladys back from the brink). Each spread is devoted to a sin... read more
Imagine if the monsters of mythology were real. What if there really were fire-breathing Chimeras in Turkey, or blood-sucking Chupacabras in Puerto Rico? After uncovering a mysterious fossil that appears to be the remains of a mythical animal, archeologist Kimberly travels across the globe to uncover secrets about beasts long thought to be the stuff of fantasy.Fascinating fun facts, newly unea... read more
Poster Art of Cars collects more than a hundred posters and graphics from Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Imagineering. The images inside have been selected for their significance as a key marketing tool or their rarity as something that has seen limited-to-no prior public limelight. Each are gorgeous pieces in their own right, carefully crafted by talented artists, designers, and stor... read more
In the first installment of the A Fire Beneath the Skin trilogy, the city of Klaar has never fallen. No enemy has ever made it across the Long Bridge or penetrated the city’s mighty walls. Even when a powerful invading army shows up at the gates, the duke and his daughter, Rina Veraiin, are certain that it poses little threat.But they are cruelly betrayed from within and, in a horrific spasm o... read more
We all loved the movie as children, and most of us still love it as adults. A classic film coupled with a classic craft provides all the warm fuzzies anyone needs to end up with lovable, huggable creations. Embrace your inner child and follow the step-by-step instructions to create your very own characters from Oz, including Dorothy, Toto, Tin Man, Scarecrow, Lion, a flying monkey, the good wi... read more
Without R2-D2, where would the galaxy be? Queen Amidala wouldn’t have escaped from Naboo, Luke Skywalker wouldn’t have trained under Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Princess Leia would have been executed by Darth Vader on the Death Star.Now with Star Wars Master Models: R2-D2 you can give this little droid his due by following his many adventures as he saves the galaxy time and again. Then build the ultim... read more
Explore Darth Vader’s many roles on his journey from Jedi Knight, to father, to Sith Lord and commander. Then build the ultimate papercraft model of Darth Vader, complete with a sound module of the Dark Lord’s eerie breathing and two memorable movie quotes! Star Wars Master Models: Darth Vader includes ten sheets of die-cut pieces and an audio component, as well as step-by-step instructions fo... read more
Deep in the Amazon jungle, an awe-inspiring adventure awaits . . . but so does danger!The world’s most massive rain forest promises both beauty and peril. Young readers will thrill to the tales of explorer Harold Bennington, just returned from a research expedition during which he recorded his observations of the most magnificent creatures he encountered. From pink river dolphins to blood-suck... read more
Though dinosaurs are long extinct, their bones can be used to piece together the puzzle of their past. Fossil hunter Jackson Foster has just returned from a three-month expedition uncovering the remains of dinosaurs that roamed across North America millions of years ago, and he has a fascinating tale to tell. From the massive and toothy Tyrannosaurus rex to the speedy Coelophysis that traveled... read more
2015 International Book Awards Winner in Non-Fiction: Gay & Lesbian“A gifted writer, Anderson is...delightful in his irreverence, and astutely aware of himself and his particular perspective. His observations are often laugh-out-loud funny and will leave readers with the desire to...keep turning the pages...” —Publishers Weekly review for Anderson, author of Tune in Tokyo and Sweet Tooth What’... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.