My career began at La Varenne residential culinary school in France, where I organized and translated for the school’s culinary classes and gastronomical excursions. In addition I assisted the school's founder, acclaimed cookbook author Anne Willan, with the writing, editing, and testing of her recipes. In the mid-1990s I moved to New York to work at Scribner, where I helped edit the 1997 edition of the “Joy of Cooking.” Soon after “Joy” was released, I became an editor in the trade paperback division of Simon & Schuster. For several years I enjoyed acquiring and editing a wide variety of health, parenting, and lifestyle books, as well as a few novels.
In 2001 I launched my freelancing career. Since then I have co-written a number of cooking and lifestyle books, collaborating with a wide cross-section of chefs, media personalities, and health and lifestyle experts, including Joanna Gaines, Guy Fieri, Eva Longoria, Jillian Michaels, Top Chef Masters winner Chef Floyd Cardoz, the Forks Over Knives organization, Blackberry Farm, and the Golden Door spa. In addition, I served as a consulting editor on the 75th anniversary edition of the “Joy of Cooking,” published in 2006, and I have edited and assessed many other books and proposals.
More than 20 years of experience as both an editor and a writer have made me intimately familiar with the experience on both sides of the editing desk, so I can dive in wherever you are – from concept development to book proposal to manuscript – to help you develop and refine your project for whatever audience you want to reach.
• Edit and write cookbooks and health and lifestyle books
• Project manage, liaising among (as necessary) author, editor, photographer, illustrator, and other staff
• Develop and test recipes
• Assess and develop proposals and query letters
• Acquired and edited original titles for the Scribner Paperback Fiction, Fireside, and Touchstone Trade Paperback imprints in various categories including parenting, health, cooking, and fiction
• Acquired outside hardcover titles for reprinting in Trade Paperback
• Managed paperback conversions from the Scribner, Simon & Schuster, and Free Press imprints
• Edited cooking, self-help, and fiction titles, including novels translated from the French
• Managed all aspects of the complete revision of "Joy of Cooking," working with editor Maria Guarnaschelli and more than 150 contributors
• Editorial liaison with the publishing, managing editorial, production, design, copyediting, and publicity departments
• Edited writers’ contributions, incorporating hundreds of disparate parts into a cohesive whole
• Drafted, tested, and edited recipes and technical text and managed the photo shoot for Anne Willan’s "Cook It Right" (Reader’s Digest, April 1998), a professional culinary technique book featuring 200 recipes and 400 photographs
• Tested and edited recipes for projects including "In and Out of the Kitchen in 15 Minutes or Less" (Rizzoli, September 1995) and Anne Willan’s 'Los Angeles Times' syndicated food column
• Assisted Anne Willan and production teams on television and print projects including Good Morning America (ABC), Masterchefs (BBC), and Food Arts
• Directed La Varenne's culinary education programs
• Planned and coordinated gastronomic tours, providing simultaneous French/English translation for students and chefs
Magnolia Table is infused with Joanna Gaines' warmth and passion for all things family, prepared and served straight from the heart of her home, with recipes inspired by dozens of Gaines family favorites and classic comfort selections from the couple's new Waco restaurant, Magnolia Table, which opens early 2018.Jo believes there's no better way to celebrate family and friendship than through t... read more
A tribute to the spirits and drinking traditions of the South through a leading barwoman's glass, with 80 recipes and photos.Craft cocktail maven Alba Huerta succinctly tells the story of drinking in the South through themes such as "Trading with the Enemy," "the Rural South," "the Drinking Society," "the Saltwater South," and others that anchor the menu at her destination bar, Julep. With his... read more
The Food Network superstar and New York Times bestselling author dishes up flavorful All-American family-friendly meals for weeknights and weekends alike.As one of Food Network’s biggest stars, Guy has taken America on a cross-country tour in Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. He’s challenged great home chefs at their culinary expertise in Guy’s Grocery Games. He’s shared his greatest hits in Guy Fi... read more
From the Winner of Top Chef Masters “A fun, fresh, and inspiring collection that deserves room on any self-respecting home cook’s bookshelf.” —Publishers Weekly, starred review At his many successful restaurants, including New York City’s famed Tabla, Floyd Cardoz built a name for himself by bringing extraordinary flavors to everyday foods and using spice to turn a dish into something distinct... read more
From the authors of the New York Times bestselling Forks Over Knives Plan comes a complete guide to a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle for your entire family, with more than 125 delicious kid-friendly recipes and tips for raising a whole-foods-loving child in a junk-food-laden world.After the trailblazing film Forks Over Knives helped spark a medical and nutritional revolution, more and more ... read more
The latest in the bestselling Forks Over Knives franchise—a 28-day guide to transitioning to a delicious whole-foods, plant-based diet.The trailblazing film Forks Over Knives helped spark a medical and nutritional revolution. Backed by scientific research, the film’s doctors and expert researchers made a radical but convincing case that modern diseases can be prevented and often reversed by le... read more
Step into the world of top luxury resort Blackberry Farm, where lovers of farm-to-table cuisine and the lost arts of Southern cooking will find bliss in the gorgeous photographs, enticing recipes, and artisanal food-making tutorials of this transporting book. Blackberry Farm has long been lauded as one of the country's most excellent resorts and sought out for its perfect mix of rusticity and ... read more
Eva Longoria may be most recognized for her role as Desperate Housewives’ saucy Gabrielle Solis, but on her own time, there are few places she would rather be than in the kitchen, cooking the food she loves for her family and friends. Here is the food Eva loves to eat, and the recipes in Eva’s Kitchen trace her life story, taking readers on her culinary journey—from the food she was brought up... read more
COOKING COMPANION TO MASTER YOUR METABOLISM Master Your Metabolism, the phenomenal diet bestseller by Jillian Michaels, has been helping millions of people become hotter and healthier without their having to obsess over food or exercise. The key is ditching fad diets and chemical-filled Franken-foods in order to optimize your metabolic function and maximize your overall health. Through the Ma... read more
Tucked away in the rolling hills and hidden valleys of idyllic southern California, the Golden Door is the epitome of the luxury spa experience. As the quintessential holistic retreat, the spa is equally renowned for its inspired, bold, and innovative cuisine. In celebration of fifty sensational years, the Golden Door shares the secrets of its celebrated kitchen, bringing its famously fresh an... read more
Instead of bringing food to guests in a traditional restaurant setting, Jim Denevan brings diners to their food, creating what Alice Waters has called “the restaurant I always imagined.” His innovative organization, Outstanding in the Field, sets up dinner tables in fields, ranches, dairies, vineyards, and community gardens across the country for alfresco meals that truly reconnect us with the... read more
With dozens of years of experience as a master mixologist, and more than 250 wide-ranging seasonal cocktail recipes, Nick Mautone has gone well beyond the usual bartender's guide to offer dozens of unique and foolproof ideas for easy and successful entertaining at home. In addition to covering all the basics of cocktail making, Nick shares his tried-and-true secrets for choosing the right drin... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Experienced editor of cookbooks and home/lifestyle books; my editing and proofreading work includes James Beard and IACP Award winners.
Native English experienced freelance copy-editor and proofreader specialising in science, technology, business and medicine.