• Managing outsourced publishing projects within time and budget, liaising with in-house contacts and engaging other professional freelance services as necessary
• Pre-submission consultancy work on draft manuscripts
• Development editing
• Onscreen copy editing
• Proofreading (onscreen or hard copy)
• Instructional design, making suggestions for formatting and layout of textbooks and other educational materials
• Legislation checking on legal texts
• Managing and coordinating book production throughout pre-press stages, taking responsibility for up to 40 titles per year
• Seeing through to publication projects as diverse as The Human Atlas of Europe (Dimitris Ballas, Danny Dorling and Benjamin Hennig); The Passionate Economist (a biography of Brian Abel-Smith by Sally Sheard) and Democracy Under Attack (an analysis of the influence of the media on social policy by Malcolm Dean)
• Occasional copy-editing or proofreading commissions undertaken for publishers including Hart Publishing and Puffin, and for non-profits such as SCIE (Social Care Institute for Excellence) and the Joseph Rowntree Fund
• Managing production of all new book titles and revised editions
• Supervising a small in-house team
• Devising and implementing house style guidance
Prior to this I was a Desk Editor with responsibility for managing projects varying from monthly law reports to multi-volume looseleaf works on legal practice, also taking on directories and legal packs, in addition to books.
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Developmental editor of narrative nonfiction and literary fiction with experience at Hachette, Melville House, and SAGE.
Hello! I'm a children’s book editor with nine years of experience at Simon and Schuster. I edit YA, MG, and picture books.