Most recently I worked as the editorial director at a small traditional press with national distribution. I oversaw every step of the book publishing process, from acquisitions, through editing, layout, and design, and finally, to publishing.
I am committed to treating each book with the care I believe it deserves. Each author's story is important, but writing the book is just the first step in the process to being published. I can help you in each step of your journey to either finding a publisher or self-publishing on your own.
Below you can see a small sampling of my portfolio.
- Publishing Institute, University of Denver
In this role, I helped grow the company from a publishing calendar with five books per year, to a publishing calendar of twenty-four books per year. I helped establish and solidify the company's brand, culture, and staff.
Day to day, my responsibilities were:
• Manage the publishing calendar and all stages of the publishing process (12-18 months), including: acquisition, contract negotiations, budget creation, editing, marketing, and design.
• Manage a team of editors.
• Acquire and develop new publishing leads, titles, and proposals.
• Oversee all stages of manuscript production, from copyedit to the approval of the final print proofs.
• Work closely with authors to enhance their work’s readability, conciseness and style.
• Acquire all trade and reader reviews of published Amberjack books.
• Collaborate with design and production departments on style, schedule, format, and aesthetics.
• Work in Adobe InDesign to create print and ebook layouts for titles.
• Consult with marketing department on ideas for promotion and provide marketing with preliminary materials.
• Help establish marketing and public relations activities and budget for each title.
• Write catalog and title information copy, and other copy for marketing collateral as needed.
• Write, edit, and publish online digital publications.
• Plan and attend conferences and events as a representative of the company.
Kayla has 2 reviews