I have enjoyed a long career in the UK and Australian educational publishing industries, as both an editor and a publisher.
My various roles in the UK and Australian offices of Harcourt Education (now Pearson) and the Australian office of Oxford University Press have centred on primary educational resources (both print and digital) for teachers and students. My main focus has been on primary literacy, including export projects for US clients, but my portfolio also includes mathematics and English.
In 2016, after more than 15 years of working in publishing houses, I embarked on a sea change to the Bellarine Peninsula. I am currently working in a freelance capacity and offer a range of publishing and editorial services.
I offer a range of publishing and editorial services including:
• Proofreading (via pdf mark-up or hard copy mark-up)
• Editing (structural editing, copy-editing, artwork brief preparation, layout checking)
• Research and development (identification of publishing opportunities through field research, proposal development)
• Commissioning (sourcing, briefing and working with authors)
• Writing (manuscript creation, manuscript refinement)
• Digital testing (user acceptance testing)
Recent clients include Oxford University Press and Macmillan Education Australia.
Oxford Literacy Assess (‘OLA’) – an award-winning suite of print and digital reading assessment resources aimed primarily at early years teachers and students. The project launched in January 2014 and led me to:
· work with authors, editors, designers and production controllers to create high-quality, engaging assessment texts
· develop relationships with educational experts
· build skills in developing a large-scale online platform, for data management and reporting
· visit around 20 schools to trial prototypes of an innovative new assessment tool – the ‘digital reading record’
· use customer feedback post-launch to devise and implement a ‘roadmap’ for the future development of the online resources
· provide professional development to educational leaders, teachers and sales consultants
· write help copy for all digital components, structured around key user journeys
· plan and create a suite of videos to support the resources
· create marketing copy for print promotional pieces, EDM campaigns and the OUP ANZ website
Projects I worked on after the launch of OLA included:
· Oxford Literacy Independent (‘OLI’) – an independent reading series, whose digital components linked to OLA
· Oxford Owl – Oxford Primary’s online dashboard, and ‘gateway’ to free and purchased digital resources
· Oxford Handwriting new editions, a versioning exercise which involved creating one brand-new handwriting title and 300 worksheets, updating covers and migrating digital content from CD-ROM to Oxford Owl
· Oxford Maths – a core print and digital maths series spanning F–6
· development of an online purchasing model to automate purchasing of OLA and OLI
· research and development relating to a new spelling series for F–6, including working with an author to create a scope and sequence to underpin the series
· adding 18 titles to the upper levels of Oxford Primary’s guided reading series, Oxford Literacy
· versioning an OUP UK guided reading series aimed at boys, Project X, for the Australian market
· publishing The Oxford Wordlist Project, a multimedia kit for building language in the early years
· transforming key Oxford Literacy titles into apps for sale through iTunes
· research relating to Oxford Primary’s direction in assessment and independent reading
· editorial development of Oxford Literacy guided reading titles for lower primary students
· manage the workflow of all primary titles (text books and literacy) to ensure timely publication
· source and manage freelancers to carry out editorial work, ensuring appropriate quality
· work with other departments (e.g. production and design) to establish workflow processes
· Editorial Team Leader (Primary)
· Rigby Senior Editor (Primary)
· Literacy Commissioning Editor (Primary)
· Senior Editor (Primary)
· Literacy Managing Editor (Primary)
· Literacy Editor (Primary)
· Editorial Trainee (Primary)
· Editor of Potato Markets Weekly and European Potato Markets Monthly
· Deputy editor of Fruit and Vegetable Markets Monthly
The position involved:
· gathering information on market developments in French and German, as well as English
· editing the information to fit the in-house style, whilst ensuring the highest degree of accuracy
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Experienced editor, specialising in children's fiction and non-fiction. I provide detailed, supportive editorial help and advice to authors.
A lifetime of reading, editing, and writing books—this work is my dream. It would be an honor to help you get your book ready for the world.