1. to cough roughly or harshly.
“The patient with emphysema is hacking all day.”
Oops, wait a minute...
Ok – here we go:
1. a good solution or piece of advice; a strategy or technique for managing one's time or activities more efficiently.
Much better! The goal of this book is straightforward (and it’s not about coughing). It’s to help you manage your adolescent years more effectively so that you don’t just survive but thrive as an adult. In other words, we'll be "hacking" or "efficiently managing" the high school experience for the benefit of the future.
I use the term “high school” loosely. For much of the following advice, “where” or “how” you do your schooling shouldn’t really matter. What matters is being able to enter adulthood easily and on your terms. What matters is owning your life instead of IT owning YOU.
That, in my opinion, is “adulting.” For what it’s worth, I’m 41 years old at the time of writing this, yet I have the heart of an 18-year-old. Adulting shouldn’t make you lose your spark, curiosity, or sense of adventure. It shouldn't make you boring - or bored. Growing up can be tricky - it can turn us into a shell of what we once loved about ourselves if we let it.
This book aims to bridge the gap between “young adult” and “adult.” An alternate title (although less catchy) might be “Start Mastering Your Life Early On.” I believe teens are capable of MUCH more than they’re often given credit for. Curriculums teach many of the “hows,” but what about the “whys”? The whys are where the power lies. Therefore, you’re about to read some things you will not be taught in school! It would be my honor to help you grab life by the horns, and I’d love to help you learn how to do that in easy, manageable ways - before the stresses pile up and things become more difficult to change.
Speaking of the title - don’t be misled by it. This is not a collection of recycled, worn-out cliches. No, this is a compilation of work that was deeply researched and profoundly inspired (it does get pretty deep). It's a resource you can read linearly or bounce around with as sections become relevant to your life.
You may notice a few things as you read:
1) There’s a wide range of hacks. You’ll discover some game-changing advice that I personally swear by and some fun little tricks that are easy to implement. There is also everything in between, in one big melting pot. This passion project was written whimsically - I had a lot of fun with it! And if some hacks seem a little more evident than others, know they’re in here for a reason.
2) There is no “fat” in this book. In other words, you won’t have to do much digging to get to the gold. Although there are stories, they are only meant to drive home points and allow you to internalize the techniques. A ton of helpful information is coming your way, so don’t feel pressured to remember it all – that’s why it’s written down!
3) Finally, each hack is numbered, making it super simple to jot down the ones you might want to revisit – because some might resonate with you right now, while others may align better down the road.
And now for our feature presentation!
I hope you benefit from each nugget of wisdom for many years to come.