I'm a freelance editor and collaborator who specializes in the categories of memoir, narrative nonfiction, motivation, pop culture, and self-help.
Prior to becoming a freelance editor I was an editor at Running Press, an imprint of the Perseus Books Group, where I edited nonfiction and pop-culture titles. I edited and acquired some of the list’s most buzzed–about nonfiction books. This included Detroit Hustle, by Amy Haimerl, a memoir that is a meditation on the American dream as well as a love letter to a much-derided city; In Defense of the Princess, by Jerramy Fine, a collection of personal and feminist essays that unabashedly celebrates princess play, femininity, and Disney princesses; and You Probably Shouldn’t Write That, a fun and comprehensive self-help guide to setting up an online profile and writing a killer self-summary.
I also had the pleasure of working on the New York Times bestselling The Pointless Book and the follow-up, Pointless Book 2, by international YouTube star Alfie Deyes. I also worked on Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter Ed Sheeran’s illustrated memoir Ed Sheeran: A Visual Journey.
As an editor, I take great pride in working closely with an author to bring his or her voice and ideas to the page. Along the way, I keep an eye on the book market so I can coach the author to create a book that will stand out.
• Edit manuscripts in the categories of memoir, narrative nonfiction, motivation, and self-help.
• Conceptualize with/coach first-time authors on how to approach and transform their expertise into narratives that inspire and excite their target audience while adhering to strict deadlines
• Develop book proposals for submission to agents and/or publishers
Select titles include:
• The Miracle Mindset by JJ Virgin (Simon & Schuster)
• Fashion Is Freedom by Tala Raassi (Sourcebooks)
• Mama Natural’s Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth by Genevieve Grace (Simon & Schuster)
• Worth It by Amanda Steinberg (Simon & Schuster)
• Now or Never by Preston Smiles and Alexi Panos (Simon & Schuster)
• Hello: I am a Sugar Addict by Brian Maucere (Self Published)
Clients include North Star Way an imprint of Simon and Schuster, agents and aspiring authors
• Solicited, acquired, and edited books in the areas of memoir, nonfiction narrative, humor, pop culture, sports, and cooking.
Notable titles include:
• New York Times bestseller The Pointless Book and follow up The Pointless Book 2 by Alfie Deyes (Humor/Illustrated)
• Username: Evie by Joe Sugg (Graphic Novel)
• Detroit Hustle by Amy Haimerl (Memoir)
• The Art of Living Other People’s Lives by Greg Dybec (Essays/Memoir)
• Ed Sheeran: A Visual Journey by Ed Sheeran (Memoir/Illustrated)
• In Defense of the Princess by Jerramy Fine (Essays/Pop Culture)
• You Probably Shouldn’t Write That by Lisa Hoehn (Self-Help/Relationships)
• Spearheaded acquisition searches and project development for books in the category of pop culture and non-fiction.
Select titles include
• Lil BUB’s Lil Book (Pop Culture)
• The Working Class Foodies Cookbook by Rebecca Lando (Cookbook)
• Mother Tongue by Christine Gilbert (Memoir)
GET PAST THE PROFILE AND START DATING WITH THIS COMPLETE GUIDE TO FINDING ROMANCE ONLINEDating virtuoso and profile expert Lisa Hoehn has helped thousands of people meet, date, and fall in love (or into bed). In You Probably Shouldn't Write That, she offers a complete, no-nonsense approach to becoming the most attractive person on any dating site or app, including: Figuring out WTF to write, C... read more
It's no secret that most girls, at some point, love all things princess: the poofy dresses, the plastic tiaras, the color pink. Even grown-up women can't get enough of royal weddings and royal gossip. Yet critics claim the princess dream sets little girls up to be weak and submissive, and allows grown women to indulge in fantasies of rescue rather than hard work and self-reliance.Enter Jerramy... read more
An exclusive, fully authorized, first-person account by Ed Sheeran of how he became an internationally renowned singer-songwriter. Ed Sheeran is the soulful singer-songwriter from England who has captivated American audiences. With words by Ed Sheeran and illustrations by his childhood friend, artist Phillip Butah (who produces artwork for Sheeran's albums and singles), and accompanying photos... read more
To the delight of his thriving fan base, YouTuber Alfie Deyes extends all the fun of the PointlessBlog to his first interactive activity book! Fully illustrated and packed with a host of games, activities, and pranks, the book will encourage you to connect the dots and bake a cake in a mug; people watch and turn a page with your ear; draw a finger selfie; and play the ultimate basketball chall... read more
Adorable photos and witty captions of “the cutest cat in the world” (Good Morning America)Lil Bub is a star. The adorable “perma-kitten” might look a little different than other felines, but her tiny size, toothless mouth, and extra toes have made her the darling of cat lovers around the world.Aided by her human, this celebri-cat is finally satisfying her demanding public with a book. Showcasi... read more
Do you feel stuck trying to get off the sugar merry-go-round? Are you going through the motions of trying to eat healthier, butwith no compass? In "Hello: I'm A Sugar Addict" fitness expert Brian Maucere talks about his own struggles with sugar and how he finally beat the addiction for good.As a former CrossFit gym owner and head writer at NutritionWOD.com, Brian takes his 20+ years experience... read more
Celebrity health expert and four-time New York Times bestselling author, JJ Virgin reveals how one life-altering event taught her to tap into an indomitable mindset, trust her instincts, and defy the odds, ultimately saving her son’s life…and her own. She’ll share the lessons she learned that can help you create your own resilient mindset.In 2012, JJ Virgin was in a hospital room next to her s... read more
The inspiring true story of how courage, a dream, and some needle and thread can change a life forever...Since she was young, Tala Raassi knew her fate lay in fashion. But growing up in her beloved homeland of Iran, a woman can be punished for exposing her hair in public, let alone wearing the newest trends. Despite strict regulations, Tala developed a keen sense of style in backroom cafes and... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Freelance book editor and writing/editing teacher with over fifteen years' publishing experience, specializing in manuscript development.
Sandy is a seasoned editor of non-fiction and fiction titles, and has been helping authors 'give birth' to their books for 20 years.