Every successful book project begins with a conversation, where we get to know each other. I like to review material ahead of time (book synopsis, outline, drafts, whatever you have to share), so I can be fully prepared for our initial meeting. From there, we'll collaborate on the outline, to ensure the structure of the book is in place. With a solid foundation, editing and revising can go much more smoothly. I'm generally a hands-on editor, diving into the text to move content around as needed, cut what's not enhancing the overall theme(s), and adding content to fill in any gaps. However, I can do as much or as little as you feel comfortable with.
- Wiley Team Pacesetter Award 2012
Writing a book is a solitary endeavor except that it isn't. Open a book to the acknowledgments page to see just how many people it takes to bring each book to readers. I love being part of that process, collaborating with authors one-on-one to create the book that readers can't put down. Whether you have a draft written or are working on the outline (or are anywhere in between), I can help you shape your thoughts and ideas into a compelling story with an overarching theme that resonates with readers.
Pithy provides clients with a range of editorial services, including manuscript evaluation, ghostwriting, developmental editing, copyediting, proofreading, cover and interior book design, and self-publishing support via Amazon KDP.
● Advised clients on self-publishing best practices, including formats and pricing
● Hired and managed the Books team: project managers, editors, coaches, designers, publishing assistant
● Guided clients through self-publishing and helped them reach Amazon bestseller status, including Dan Cremons (Winning Moves: 105 Proven Ways to Create Value in Private Equity-Backed Companies) and Roger Braswell (Stepping into the Moment: The Journey of a Serial Entrepreneur)
● Forecasted and tracked budgets
Commercial Article is an Indiana design history journal published by Commercial Artisan, an Indianapolis-based design firm. I edited seven issues of Commercial Article:
● Gene and Jackie Lacy
● Fred Bower
● Avriel Shull
● Marshall Studios
● Leslie Ayres
● Norman Norell
● Walter Dorwin Teague
Wiley Publishing, Inc.
The project editor develops manuscripts and project manages the book from TOC development to final proof review.
● Served as the go-to editor who provided feedback on sample manuscripts to coach new authors
● Edited several editions of the bestselling Windows For Dummies
● Helped many new authors realize their dreams of publishing a book, including Kelly Senyei (Food Blogging For Dummies) and Joe Hutsko (Green Gadgets For Dummies)
● Expanded the brand through eLearning courses (for which I won an award), DVDs, and digital-only books
● Documented internal processes
● Mentored junior editors