I served from 2002-2007 in the US Army and knocked out two tours in Iraq. After the military, I earned a bachelor's degree in business administration and got lost working in Germany. I first cut my editing teeth performing English to German technical translations... a grueling and extensive process that makes copy-editing seem like a relaxing hobby! In the fiction world, I've worked on everything from steamy romances to hard sci-fi, and enjoyed them all.
What exactly does this entail?
1) The first line-by-line, "deep dive" copyediting and proofreading pass will be delivered by the agreed upon date or your money back.
- Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization errors.
- Correct word usage, with a special emphasis on misused hyphenated/compound words, author-specific crutch words/phrases and those devilish homonyms.
- Massage sentence-level syntax for clarity, consistency and readability, without twisting your unique writing style.
- Polish overall tone and flow. This phase overlaps with "developmental editing," but there's no extra charge. I take pride in weeding out continuity errors, plot holes, unrealistic dialogue, inconsistent character actions and the subtle, yet confusing point-of-view shifts.
2) A separate final proofread right before you're ready to launch your work. With such an extensive editing process, some "post-production" mistakes are guaranteed to pop up. That's why, once you've made your changes and rewrites, a final proofreading to weed out any new errors is crucial.
3) Last, but not least, I'll return three "ready to upload" manuscripts, optimized for the Kindle and Epub ebook formats, as well as the Createspace paperback format. These files are guaranteed compatible with Kindle Direct Publishing, Draft 2 Digital and Smashwords (yes, even their notorious autovetter system). If you receive any errors when uploading to any of these sites, I will correct the problem immediately without charge.
Freelancers live and die by word-of-mouth recommendations. That's why I guarantee 100% satisfaction with my services before final payment is due, as well as a full refund if I fail to meet a deadline.
Coordinate technical product support between the German and English divisions, as well as international clients.
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
Writer at Nerdist, HelloGiggles, and Geek & Sundry. Editor at Penguin Random House for 5 1/2 years working in fiction and non-fiction.
Fantasy and science fiction specialist. I focus on the Christian submarket but also edit fiction for the general market.