I've written essay prompts, classroom discussion questions, quizzes, contributor biographies, and other learning materials for bestselling college writing and literature textbooks published by Macmillan Learning, where I worked as an in-house editor for six years. I've also provided freelance editorial consultation on these textbooks, researching and recommending third-party content (examples of writing in specific genres, excerpts from longer works illustrating specific rhetorical or stylistic moves, etc.).
• Designed and taught argumentative writing and research writing courses to undergraduates, routinely offering intensive feedback on drafts, peer reviews, and revisions of essays.
• Selected by program director to serve as mentor to new instructors during my second year.
• Participated on committee to redesign learning objectives for the program’s research writing course and helped to implement new objectives in syllabi templates for instructors.
• Raised funds to support the program’s annual college-wide student writing showcase.
• Managed the editorial development of bestselling print and digital textbooks for undergraduate courses in writing, literature, and technical communication.
• Designed surveys to solicit instructor feedback on existing textbooks, analyzed feedback, and produced revision plans to maximize instructor/student needs and profitability.
• Collaborated with authors and freelance content developers to execute revision plan for textbooks by creating and testing new learning features, researching print and media content, writing assignments and assessments, and editing manuscripts.
• Liaised with production teams to review copyediting, page proof, and site builds; wrote marketing copy; contributed to pre- and post-publication sales and marketing initiatives.
• Promoted from Associate Editor to Editor in April 2015.
• Assisted editors on the college English textbook team with all stages of the editorial process. Duties included administering surveys to instructors; writing glossary entries, author biographies, and other learning aids; preparing manuscripts for turnover to production; and editing posts for an instructor-facing teaching tips blog.
• Assisted editors on the college history textbook team with various aspects of the editorial process.
Instructors know that Mike Markel’s Technical Communication will prepare their students for any workplace writing situation. No other text offers such a comprehensive introduction to the field while still delivering practical, effective support for students at every level. The eleventh edition has been thoroughly revised to reframe the work of technical communicators in the context of today’s ... read more
Rereading America remains the most widely adopted book of its kind because it works: instructors tell us time and again that they've watched their students grow as critical thinkers and writers as they grapple with cross-curricular readings that not only engage them, but also challenge them to reexamine deeply held cultural assumptions, such as viewing success solely as the result of hard work... read more
Brief, practical, and affordable, The Art and Craft of Fiction gives aspiring writers all they need, in a friendly voice that students love. Michael Kardos focuses on technique and presents fiction writing as a teachable (and learnable) art. With an organization built on methods and process rather than traditional literary elements, Kardos helps students begin their stories, write strong scene... read more
Both reliable and innovative, The Bedford Guide for College Writers involves students in active learning, whether their writing class meets on campus or online. The guide contains a process-oriented rhetoric, a thematic reader, a research manual, and a handbook, giving students everything they need for success in writing, all in one affordable book. Each part provides frequent opportunities fo... read more
In Practical Strategies for Technical Communication, Mike Markel gives students the essentials they'll need to communicate successfully in today's workplace. The book offers concise and accessible yet thorough coverage of audience and purpose, research, style, and document design, and strategies for designing all of the major document types. For the second edition, Markel has worked with organ... read more
Ways of Reading offers a uniquely exciting approach to first-year composition, integrating reading, writing, and critical thinking with an ambitious selection of readings and editorial support. An introduction provides a framework to guide students in reading "with and against the grain." Then Ways of Reading helps students develop the intellectual skills necessary for academic work by engagin... read more
Both reliable and innovative, "The Bedford Guide for College Writers" plunges students into active learning right from the beginning, whether their writing class meets on campus or online. This new edition expands active learning into reflection, helping students engage with their own writing process to gain a deeper understanding that will serve them throughout their writing lives. "The Guide... read more
This book is in pristine condition. It was used for one semester and is looking for a new home.
Built on the tradition of the bestselling textbook The Bedford Guide for College Writers, this new brief edition retains the authors’ process-oriented approach to college writing and focus on active learning. The streamlined guide introduces students to the most commonly-assigned writing strategies and situations and to the essentials of college-level research and documentation. The reader, lo... read more
With seven context-rich scenarios and more than 50 sample documents to analyze, revise, and design, this booklet offers students realistic opportunities to practice writing in the workplace. The new edition features a fresh new design and new cases and writing tasks that incorporate online genres and social media tools. A companion Web site provides digital versions of all the documents in the... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
I specialize in children’s and YA publishing, and I also have experience with political and academic writing. Worked at Scholastic, Wiley.
Award-winning children's book editor helps you develop your ideas and voice into a finished book. Effective query letters and proposals too.