One of my current, major projects is developing a comparative analysis of the differences in the narratives of Moses in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Written by a professor of philosophy and religion, "Moses: Sacred Scriptures, Sacred Traditions" explores Moses' stories and their meanings within literary, historical, contemporary, religious, and cultural contexts.
• Systematized production, recruited and directed team for logo and cover designs, and oversaw developmental editing of first two anthologies of the pan-African writers' collective
• Copy editor for fourth anthology, a collaboration with Uganda's Writivism Festival
• I continue to contribute ideas regarding organizational structures and sustainability
Turned study abroad internship into full-time employment as editorial assistant at East and Central Africa’s leading creative publisher. Quickly promoted to assistant editor, working directly for managing editor. As assistant editor I
• Read submissions, edited, researched and wrote for 500+ page literary and art journal, novels, e-platforms, grants
• Liaised with writers, editors, artists, web designers, researchers, printers, donors and institutional partners
• Provided orientation for, trained and supervised interns and new editorial assistants
MAJOR PROJECTS WITH KWANI TRUST
• Helped conceptualize and develop "Kwani? 07" and "Kwani? 08"
• Commissioned writers and artists
• Reviewed submissions and participated in selection process
• Drafted copy and selected text breaks
• Brainstormed with and directed artists and designers
Kwani? Series (2011-Present)
• Completed first rewrite of translation of "Kizuizini," a memoir by Joseph Muthee
• Brainstormed cover designs for East African edition of "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
• Proofread "Kintu" by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
Kwani? Manuscript Project (2012-Present)
• Organized submissions, initial overview and communications with authors of 250 novels from 19 countries
• Promoted project through social media strategy
Kwani? Litfest 2012: Conversations with Writers from the Horn
• Planned, coordinated and reported on the week long literary festival's events including book launches, panels, readings and open mics
• Hosted international writers including Nawal El Saadawi, Kojo Laing, Hadraawi, Jamal Mahjoub, Warsan Shire and Helon Habila
Alternative Media Project (2011-Present)
• Coordinated editorial components of 2011 conference bringing together East Africa’s leaders in alternative media
• Produced Beyond Mainstream book and e-platform content
10 Day Writers' Residency
• Led writing seminar sessions on elements of craft
• Helped participants develop drafts into polished pieces
Death of a Siren is a fast-paced mystery set in the otherworldly Galápagos Islands in 1938 during the lead-up to World War II. A fugitive New York City cop is on the run from both the law and the mafia after killing a local thug. Trying to make his escape in a boat he stole from his uncle, castaway Fred Freiman, a German American, comes ashore on the islands and stumbles upon the body of a bea... read more
Kwani? has always been significantly connected to the Diaspora through the individuals who founded it, and its early contributors. Its seventh issue picks up the idea of leaving and of return, something that has framed the conversations and hybrid identities of many Kwani? writers. Kwani? 07 explores diasporic imaginaries and discourses through fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, history, ar... read more
As teenagers in a Lagos secondary school, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Nigeria is under military dictatorship, and people are leaving the country if they can. Ifemelu-beautiful, self-assured- departs for America to study. She suffers defeats and triumphs, finds and loses relationships and friendships, all the while feeling the weight of something she never thought of back home: race. Obinz... read more
'Kizuizini' is a story of endurance and the struggle for freedom written by Joseph Muthee who survived 7 detention camps during the Mau Mau struggle. Muthee is the only living survivor who went through all of Kenya's colonial detention camps. This is his story. In 2007 Kiziuzini was awarded the Jomo Kenyatta Prize for Literature, Literature For Adult's Kiswahili Category, 2nd Prize.
'This is the novel Uganda-and not just Buganda-has been waiting for. Here, history comes alive in such sensual and accurate detail. For many of us who draw a blank when seeking pre-colonial family histories, this multi-layered story makes us re-imagine, reclaim, and yes, re-live what has been lost.' Doreen Baingana, author of Tropical Fish 'An ambitious modern epic that takes in family saga an... read more
Heralded by Binyavanga Wainaina as a new generation of writers producing exciting and original work, Jalada is already achieving significant critical acclaim and success. Members of the collective - Clifton Gachagua, Mehul Gohil, Linda Musita, Kioko Ndinda, Okwiri Oduor and Novuyo Rosa Tshuma - were named as 6 of the 39 most promising fiction writers from Africa under 40 as part of the Africa3... read more
In contemporary Nairobi, a young man named Moses Odidi Oganda bleeds to death in the streets, murdered by police. As his lifeblood-full of memories, colors, and songs-pours into the dust, the stories that tumble forth reveal the violent upheaval of Kenya's own life, reaching from the Mau Mau uprisings of the 1950s to the murky intricacies of modern-day corruption. Odidi's grief-stricken family... read more
The latest journal, Kwani? 08 explores the 2013 elections, the campaigns, questions around IDPs, the Constitution and how all these things could be connected to our current political reality in Kenya. We get back on the campaign and money trails, '13 elective scenarios, tall tales, spectacles and reinventions through image and text, maps and journeys, elegies, and verse. And we move from 2008,... read more
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.
A lifetime of reading, editing, and writing books—this work is my dream. It would be an honor to help you get your book ready for the world.
I am a highly meticulous and detail-oriented copy editor and proofreader who is well-versed in both Chicago and AP styles.