I am a highly experienced freelance editor, writer, and translator. I am also probably one of the most widely read editors you will come across. Depending on what you want and need, I can help you by making suggestions about the content, style, and structure of your book ('developmental editing') and ensure that it is free from errors of fact, grammar, and punctuation.
I am particularly interested in literary fiction, biography, the natural world, and books for older children, but if you don't see your book's category below, it is always worth contacting me to ask.
* Thoughtful, accurate editing based on a solid understanding of language structure, style, register, and tone
* Extensive experience in editing, writing, and proofreading
* Excellent research and fact-checking skills, and a thorough knowledge of online resources
* Meticulous proofreading
* The benefit of very wide reading across the arts and sciences
* A sensitive approach - I listen to authors, suggest improvements, but never try to impose my views
* Spanish to English translation
My experience includes 13 years on the staff of The Times Educational Supplement as a writer (news, profiles, analysis, features, reviews) and subeditor, as well as years of freelance editing for academic journals, websites, and private clients.
Academic qualifications: BA Modern History; BSc Psychology (first class honours); MA.
Children's Picture Books
Crime & Mystery
Education & Reference
Health & wellbeing
Politics & Current Affairs