I'm a freelance designer and developer from the South of England (UK), currently living in Toronto, Canada, by way of London, UK. I'm a book nerd disguised as a web developer; passionate about reading, writing, tinkering with code and building fun things.
My goal is to build you an intuitive, easy-to-use, bespoke, beautifully designed website, that will do your writing justice. I specialise in:
• Websites that translate into more book sales
• Growing your mailing list sign-ups
• Building your fan base
• Reaching and marketing to new audiences
• Integrate social media and grow your followings
I have 8 years of experience building bespoke websites for indie authors, small businesses, artists, charities and non-profits. I also have 12 years professional experience as a graphic designer - working at large global printing companies, in-house at an art gallery and boutique design agencies in London. I love liaising directly with the client, in order to fully understand your goals and requirements. As a 'remote freelancer', my clients are based all over the world. I currently live in Toronto, Canada, so I work on Eastern Time (5 hours behind GMT).
All of the websites that I build are:
• Beautiful and intuitive for visitors.
• Mobile-friendly, working well in all modern browsers & devices.
• Easy for you to update and manage yourself (if you wish to).
• Designed to increase sales, mailing list sign-ups and fan engagements.
• Communicate your unique style, voice and brand.
• Integrate social media, Google Analytics and any other 3rd party tools that you use.
My CMS's of choice are Wordpress, Perch, Squarespace, Shopify and Drupal. I aim to select the most appropriate tools for the project, as no two projects are the same.
Outside of my freelance projects, I like to read, explore the city on foot with my headphones in, and take part in hackathons. I previously sat on the Board of Directors for an arts festival, and have led youth arts workshops, training 16-18 year olds to build and run their own websites.
I am a freelance designer providing graphic and digital design services for a range of clients. As a remote worker and digital nomad, I work with clients all over the world. My services include:
- Website design & development
- Wordpress theme design & development
- Shopify theme design & development
- Squarespace expert
- User experience (UX) design
- Interaction design
- Graphic design
- Branding, logo & identity design
- Print & editorial design
- Designing marketing materials, flyers, business cards etc
- Book cover design for print & ebooks
- Social media marketing
- Content marketing & creation, including blogs, data & tools
- SEO, PPC and online marketing (I am a qualified Google Partner)
I sat on the Board of Directors for B-Side Arts for four years. B-side work with new and emerging artists to commission new site-responsive work. The organisation’s main project is a biennial multimedia festival taking place in Weymouth and Portland, Dorset. My role as Director was to advise on marketing, digital development, social media and audience development, as well as helping make decisions on the direction and management of the festival.
I continue to work as Lead Designer at Wired Canvas on a freelance, part-time basis. I am responsible for the majority of studio design output. The company produces design for web and print, and digital design/marketing for a range of clients within the Arts and Non-profit sectors. In particular we focus on the design and development of bespoke websites and web applications. My role is to deliver and manage the design elements of all our of our client and in-house projects, as well as manage projects and bring in new business.
KUBE (formerly The Study Gallery of Modern Art) was one of the most prominent contemporary art spaces in the South West. Sadly it was forced to close it's doors in 2010. I was the sole in-house designer. Tasks included:
- Print design (marketing materials, stationery, signage)
- Managing the organisation’s website, blog and social media platforms
- Designing signage
- Managing the website, updating and uploading content (static HTML site)
- Email marketing - creating HTML templates and managing email campaigns
- Managing social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter
- Inbound marketing and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Managing the blog - writing and editing content, and content uploading
- PR - sending press releases to journalists and supplying design assets
- IT and technical support within the organisation
- Helping to run public workshops and events, including family workshops
- Documentation of exhibitions and events using photography, video and audio
are a large international packaged-print company with high street design studios. I worked at the Bournemouth brand as a graphic designer. Tasks included:
- Print design (including brochures, stationery, large format, leaflets, folders, promotional products etc)
- Bespoke print preparation (including UV, Pantone, die-cuts etc)
- Brand and identity design & development
- Managing client accounts and liaising with clients face to face
- Project management including budgets and timeframes
I have worked with Read Easy UK for a number of years, both as a freelancer and in my role as Lead Designer at agency Wired Canvas. They are a grass-roots level UK based charity who recruit and train volunteers, who then teach adults how to read. In 2011 it was shown that 5% of adults in the UK can only recognise a few common words. Although the website and brand was created built by another developer, I now manage Read Easy's website and have added a lot of additional features and improvements over the years. I also help provide day-to-day IT support.
The website features include:
- Accessibility for screen readers and older browsers/computers
- Secure online donations
- An interactive map with all regional groups plotted by location
- Password protected resources based on user access level
- Mobile responsive for tablet and smartphone devices
Zita had a brand and an initial web design that had been developed by another designer. I worked in conjunction with the designer and Zita to update the website design to take advantage of modern browser capabilities. I developed a custom Wordpress website for Zita's life therapy business, highlighting her unique voice and strong brand.
During my time as Lead Designer at agency Wired Canvas, I was responsible for overseeing the design of a new website for author, vet and TV personality Luke Gamble. We built the website using Drupal. The website's focus is a Luke's charities (he is the CEO of 2x charities, Worldwide Veterinary Service and Mission Rabies) as well as his non-fiction books and TV showreel.
During my time as Lead Designer at agency Wired Canvas, I was responsible for designing and delivering a website for author Richard Cockett.
Richard is an author of multiple non-fiction books (including history, travel and politics), many published at Yale University Press, and an editor at The Economist. We designed a new author brand for Richard, and a website that highlighted his latest book as well as an archive of his previous books, which span many decades. Each book has a dedicated page with image galleries, media embeds, book reviews and links to where each book can be purchased online. The website is powered by Wordpress with a bespoke custom-built theme, and is designed to be responsive to all popular browsers and devices.
Reedsy is a community of top publishing professionals. Join Reedsy today to browse 1000+ profiles.